December 5, 2006

Phonathon

There is an organization on campus called the Phonathon. It's an organization, but it's also a job. A group of students call alumni of Dakota State and raise scholarship money for the university. It takes a special person to work for this organization because you have to be able to handle rejection.
I've worked for the phonathon now for 4 years and absolutely love it. I started my first year at Dakota State as a caller. I won the Student Ambassador award my first semester and then the Top Fundraiser award my second semester, the next year I was the over-all Top Fundraiser again. My third year at the phonathon was a little different. I was promoted to Student Supervisor and have been in that position ever since. So needless to say, I've met a wide range of students. I got to work with students when I was calling and now I get to work with students as a supervisor.
This year, the group of students we have working at the phonathon are great! They have almost raised half of our goal ($100,000) in about 2 months calling time. We only work Sun-Thurs from 6:14-9pm. We play a ton of games, nightly, weekly, and semesterly! We have major incentives and prizes. You get paid to call. It's the best job I've found on campus and believe me, I've had my share of them! Another nice thing is that when there is no school, there is no phonathon...what beats that??

No comments: